Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Worth the Hype?

Alrighty ladies, let's talk about something ubber exciting, shall we?
*
*
*
*
*
You ready?
(on a side note, am super sad that this show is over, but really did like the ending!)
*
*
*
*
*
Lets talk oatmeal!! 

More specifically the creamy, wonderful magic that is overnight oats! I had been seeing recipes for it around Pinterest for awhile now, and the idea of a healthy, on the go meal was intriguing. But not being  a yogurt fan none of them caught my attention, yogurt being the main ingredient besides oats. Then I saw a few that took soy/coconut/almond milk and the wheels in my head started turning!

I combined and experimented and came with a basic recipe and some flavor combos that I and my whole family love!



Basic Overnight Oats
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1-2 Tablespoons honey
1 splash vanilla
Pinch of salt

Put all of the above in a pint mason jar, put the lid on and shake, shake, shake, until well combined then let it sit in the fridge overnight and get ready for a fantastic on the go breakfast!

*White Chocolate Chai
Add the following to the basic recipe:
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1 Tablespoon white chocolate chips

*Peanut Butter Cherry
Add the following to the basic recipe:
1 Tablespoon nut butter of your choice
Splash almond extract
Chopped fresh cherries

Add the cherries after you've shaken the oats, or even the next morning!

*Triple Berry
Add the following to the basic recipe:
1 tablespoon white chocolate chips
1 tablespoon raspberry jammy bits (buy here)
Fresh blueberries and blackberries

Add everything but the fresh fruit in before you shake then top with the berries!

Notes
*Old fashioned oats are best, the steel cut stay to hard (like eating birdseed, yuck!) and the quick oats turn to mush.

*I use whole milk, but fat free woks as well, the finished product just isn't as creamy and chocolate milk is pretty fantastic as well!

*I've let these sit anywhere from 5-14 hours and they are good. just as long as you use the old fashioned oats!

*Not just for breakfast, I've been taking them to work for lunch!

*The flavor combos are pretty endless, pear or peaches in the chai would be good. Or I'm already planning on a pumpkin spice for fall and an eggnog version for Christmas!

Let me know how your oats turn out and I'd love to hear about any fun flavors you come up with!

With love and laughter,
KatySue


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!